Livable Housing Guidelines
Master Builders and its members have for a long time demonstrated a commitment to delivering diverse housing for individuals and households. We are proud to support the Livable Housing Australia (LHA) Design Guidelines and principles.
A house will have many occupants with a variety of needs over its lifetime. The LHA Design Guidelines help provide an accessible and safe home environment for young families, the elderly and people with special needs.
Houses are assessed against the LHA Design Guidelines by Registered Assessors.
Houses that conform to the LHA Design Guidelines proudly display the Livable Housing Design Quality Mark. This mark indicates to potential home buyers that the dwelling was designed with a wide variety of occupants in mind and can be easily adapted to suit the needs of whoever occupies it.
Earning a Livable Housing Design Quality Mark will help improve the resale value of your home. It increases your resale market by 30 per cent to include people with accessibility issues and the elderly.
So when you’re building your new home, talk to your Master Builder about how to make it conform to the LHA guidelines.
Click here to view the Guidelines
The LHD Guidelines consist of Silver, Gold and Platinum performance ratings.
The ‘silver level’ seven core livable housing design elements are:
- A safe continuous and step free path of travel from the street entrance and/or parking area to a dwelling entrance that is level
- At least one, level (step-free) entrance into the dwelling
- Internal doors and corridors that facilitate comfortable and unimpeded movement between spaces
- A toilet on the ground (or entry) level that provides easy access
- A bathroom that contains a hobless (step-free) shower recess
- Reinforced walls around the toilet, shower and bath to support the safe installation of grabrails at a later date
- A continuous handrail on one side of any stairway where there is a rise of more than 1 metre
- Visit the Livable Housing Australia website: http://livablehousingaustralia.org.au
- Download the Livable Housing Design (LHD) Guidelines: http://livablehousingaustralia.org.au/design.php