Joiners cut, shape and fit timber parts in workshops to form structures and fixtures, ready for installation.
Joiners may perform the following tasks:
- work out job requirements from drawings, templates and written instructions
- set up jigs, select timber, and cut to size and shape using templates
- cut joints using wood-cutting machines or hand-powered tools
- assemble prepared wood to form structures and fittings
- work with plastic laminates, perspex or metals
- maintain and sharpen tools.
With experience and sometimes further training, it is possible to become a technical teacher, estimator or purchasing officer.
- enjoy practical and manual work
- enjoy working with wood
- good hand-eye coordination
- good sense of balance
- some mathematics ability
- good health and eyesight
- able to work as part of a team.
- Wood Carver
- Wood Tradesperson