Plasterer - Solid
Solid plasterers apply decorative and protective coverings of plaster, cement or similar materials to the interiors and exteriors of buildings.
Solid plasterers may perform the following tasks:
- level and straighten corners, angles, and wall and ceiling surfaces
- clean and prepare surfaces by stapling wire-mesh frames to them, or by roughening them with mechanical hammers
- mix and apply coats of plaster, cement, render or similar materials to walls and ceilings, levelling and smoothing them by using trowels
- apply finishing coats of plaster to give a smooth finish or decorative texture
- fix precast cornices and panel mouldings, ceiling centres and other plaster fittings
render exterior walls and moulds
- finish underside of concrete floors with a mixture of cement and granite chips or blue metal
erect scaffolding (subject to licence requirements in some states or territories) and trestles.
Solid plasterers work alone or in teams of two or three, indoors and outdoors.
- enjoy practical work
- good hand-eye coordination
- able to learn to work from plans
- willing to work at heights on scaffolding or ladders
- good health and stamina, and free from allergies to materials used.
- Building Contractor
- Floor Finisher and Coverer